50th Annual PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet
This event is open to everyone, membership NOT required.
November 4, 2017 - Saturday
NEW LOCATION (name sounds the same as previous, it is a NEW place)
- Safety Seminar $10:00 : 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
(Registration 9:00 am)
- Social Hour - No Hosts Bar : 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm
- Awards Banquet $35.00 : 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
(Registration 5:30 pm)
Sequoia Yacht Club
4431 Seaport Ct.
Redwood City, CA
Driving Directions: [Google Map]
Take US 101 to Redwood City and exit east onto Seaport Boulevard. Continue east past Cheasapeake until you see the municipal marina on your left. Turn left at Seaport Court. Our clubhouse is the first building on your left.
Look for the large anchor out in front.
- Click above link to register, you will be directed to Constant Contact Event Registration, and payment using any credit card or PayPal.
- Seminar $10.00
- Awards Dinner $35.00
- 09:00 – 09:30 Registration
- 09:30 – 12:00 Speaker program
- Dan Colton – My Crash On the Whites
- Key Dismukes – What’s Age Got to do With It
- Thomas Johnson - Soaring Safety Foundation
- 12:00 – 13:00 Catered lunch
- 13:00 – 14:00 PASCO Topics
- PASCO business/financial presentation and discuss PASCO’s future
- 14:00 – 16:30 Speaker program continues
- Kempton Izuno – Weather: Soaring goals and forecasting
- John Cochrane – MacCready flying from Kindergarten to PhD
- FBO Updates and Initiatives (Williams, Soaring NV, TTSA)
- 16:30 – 17:30 Social hour (cash bar)
- 18:00 – 19:00 Catered dinner buffet (and PASCO 50th anniversary cake)
- 19:00 - Jay McDaniel - SSA Exceptional Service awards presentation
- 19.10 – 20:10 Keynote speakers Jim and Jackie Payne - Perlan Project Update
- 20:10 – 21:00 Ramy Yanetz - PASCO awards presentation
Banquet Dinner (Yes vegetarians / vegans, we thought about you too!)
Catered by 'Fuget About It'
2017 PASCO Awards Nominations Now Due
Please review the awards page.
Then send me your submissions and nominations for the following PASCO Awards by October 15.
Note that you must be a PASCO member to win any of the awards. It is still not too late to join PASCO and grab one of these awards:
- Sawyer Award - the less experienced you are the better your chances to win it. Please see more information below.
- Longest silver badge distance (pilots who got their silver badge this year please send me your submission)
- Longest handicapped distance up to 3TP in region 11 (limited to 2 wins per pilot)
- Longest out and return in region 11 (limited to 2 wins per pilot)
- Longest straight out distance in region 11
- Most improved XC pilot Award (see note below)
- Exceptional service award
- Les Arnold award
- Safety Service Award
- Most Rides Given
- Most commercial rides given
Award Nominations are DUE October 15
The Sawyer award winner will be determined based on the final Region 11 OLC score ONLINE CONTEST Region11 multiplied by pilot factor as described on our website PILOT FACTOR.
Please note that all prior winners are excluded so new pilots have better chance of winning. I don't have everyone's pilot factor, please review the OLC page above, multiply your score by your pilot factor, and if your result is above 10,000 please notify me.
Please note that we are limiting the number of wins for the longest 3TP distance and the longest O&R to 2, so please submit your longest distance flights even if they are not at the top of the list.
Most Improved XC Pilot Award
The Most Improved XC Pilot Award will be given annually to the pilot with the biggest percentage improvement from prior years in longest flight over 100km.
Flight must be on OLC and will be based on OLC distance points. Flight can be flown anywhere but you must be the PIC. Please submit your prior longest distance (can be any prior year) and this year's longest distance with OLC links.
And last but not least, please send your nomination for the service awards, as described at
This is your opportunity to nominate someone who you believe deserves recognition for their contribution to soaring in our region.
Trophies will be presented at the PASCO Awards Banquet on November 4th.
Send submissions to:
It is our 50th Birthday, we were "born" in 1967.
Pacific Soaring Council, Inc., incorporated as a non-profit in California in March, 1967.
The original officers were:
- Carl D. Herold, President
- Peter W. Newgard, Sec-Treas
- Patrick E. Page, Editor
- Malcom A. Bagshaw
The corporation is to "To provide education, communication, and related activities
with others who have a common interest in soaring. "