Access code: 7272623
Meeting called to order: 7:10 PM
Board members present:
1. Joel Klein
2. Bruce Roberts
3. Peter Deane
4. Mike Mayo
Committee chairs and guests present:
1. Jay McDaniel
Action Items, last meeting key points, review:
1. Peter: send all current CY08 minutes to Karol and Larry.- Done. Larry has put up on web site.
2. Peter: review and edit minutes from Lee Edling – for publication.- Done & Published
3. Peter: send email alert - sign up for regionals — a “get them out” campaign- Done.
4. Peter: Dream Machines static display
- Done. Very successful. Took basic PASCO flyers, handed out about 50. Peter’s wife Katrina put together a “best practices” document for next time. Promoted all of the (reasonably) local sites: Hollister, Byron, Williams, Truckee, and Air Sailing.
5. Peter: New promotions chair- No progress. Still looking for qualified
and willing candidates.
Peter: scan in critical PASCO 501c3 docs for records – distribute to key directors
- Done & sent out to Hans & Karol. Peter has digital backup.
1. Hans: Schedule financial audit- Not sure of status. Hans was in Asia
till May 8th. Karol has some contacts for auditors, will use her knowledge.
1. Karol: Finish March Westwind and send soaring video website link to Larry.- Former still open; latter completed
2. All: Give Larry feedback on webpage and use PASCO website as launch
page for soaring links
- Everyone should continue to let Larry know what you think about the site
3. Peter: Safety committee contact information- Still to do
4. Peter: PASCO site champions up-to-date list needed – pasco flyers to
be distributed- Still to do
5. Mike: Reno airspace—briefing cards and sign up books to be resupplied-
Still to do
13. Mike: Drum up WestWind safety/site article from Montague - Still to
Treasure’s report – Hans
* Schedule for financial audit. - No report.
* Communications Chair report – Karol/Larry
* a. Website Updates – Larry
- No report.
* b. WestWind Update – Karol
Karol’s report via Peter: Issue still not complete. Will incorporate three articles sent, will put a picture on cover of Dave; need a tribute article on him for the magazine. Target is next Sunday to send to Hans for printing (May 18)
* c. Proposal for 6-monthy WestWind and more direct communications management
through the web
-Group discussion: No one depends on the WestWind. It doesn’t need to be timely. Communications are more web-based now.
-Peter Summarized his note to Karol: There are two critical issues of WestWind each year: March & September, at the beginning of the season and before the banquet and seminar. All other info can perhaps best be transmitted to members on the website: Tactical (short-term info, or upcoming events) output to webstite, strategic info to be published in WestWind.
Mike: Motion to change the WestWind publishing schedule to once every 6-months (2x year), to be published in March and September. Karol to produce monthly web updates for regional activities and upcoming events on the website, with an email announcement to members when the info is put up.
Passed: all in favor
Need to make sure that the membership knows about this change. Peter will craft a communication to members to explain the changes.
* Recovery plan for replacing Dave
-Peter needs to find a new candidate. We are at a vulnerable place; need to maintain communications to site champions.
* Current status of PASCO Site Champions - No report.
* Reinforcing Reno airspace procedures and publication - No report.
* SSA article followup (Reno procedures) -Jay: Should be published in next
issue of Soaring.
SSA Regional Director & PASCO Director positions – Peter
* Promotions chair
- No progress. Peter is stumped by this one. Despite great personal experiences going to airshows and talking with people, Peter is sure most glider pilots would prefer eating bugs to talking with people.
-Promotions Discussion: There are four events to target for this year: HMB,
Watsonville or Salinas (or both), Reno. Questions: Does Moffett still have
a show? What about AOPA Expo SJ in November?
-Joel with contact HGC people (Eric Rupp. Drew) about displays at Watsonville &/or Salinas.
-Peter stated that Karol mentioned that she could facilitate a presence at Reno
-Joel will contact AOPA regarding SJ Expo.
* Safety chair-TBD
FAA Airspace Liason
* Wave window update - Rolf
- No update. He sent out his proposal to Reno. Reno is the bottleneck for getting things approved at this point. No news is no news.
* Transponder rulemaking update – Jay
-Jay: No update. Will ask SSA executive committee.
* General updates - No report.
* Update on Washoe CAB plans for Pyramid area
- No report.
* Hollister update
-Interim airport manager getting things done: Runways just repaved and
being striped this week.
-Joel will find out timeline for glider facilities depicted on Interim Airport Layout Diagram
Nationals and Regionals update
- Peter: Sign ups for Montague are healthy--signup for Sports Class Nationals
is at 25-27 so far. The Air Force Cadets have signed up for the
Sports Class Regionals, so that’s guaranteed to go forward.
-Next year Montague will hold Standard Class Nationals.
* PASCO League trophies with Ramy - Ramy has old trophies in his garage now.
Peter: People have mentioned how much they miss Pasco League. His comment
to them: step up and organize it! Suggestion to have one event per year
using PASCO league rules, one club against another and let them duke it out.
* Alby Award update – Ramy-Sergio -No update.
* Airshows – Dream Machines update – clarify other airshows.
- See above for Dream Machines update.- See above for other airshows.
* Banquet planning – Bruce Roberts
-Usually 1st Saturday in November, November 1st; Bruce to determine date and location.
Discussion: The Banquet is important—it’s the only place where we get to update the membership and discuss plans for coming year. PASCO’s state of the union. Need decent PA for presentations, projector.
Other thing to think about is how to get better attendance. We have a lot of money—half price on the dinners? Thoughts about speakers? How about door prizes and raffles: Peter-we used to have a raffle. Cindy used to do a terrific job getting prizes.
* Scholarship fund donation to Dave Cunningham Memorial Scholarship
-NCSA has set up scholarship fund to support youth in soaring at Air Sailing.
Peter: We have boatloads of money in scholarship fund. Question to Jay—is there anything in NV that we can support, or should we think about starting one? Jay: there’s no info on the website about the PASCO scholarship fund. Karol was going to get with Larry to add this. We have a few students here who are interested. Peter: we used to donate/award a scholarship to Douglas County high school (Minden) to present a good face to the community. (Challenging—It’s hard to do that in each town where the gliderports are.)
Outstanding Action Items:
1. Peter: find new Safety Officer for PASCO
2. Mike: check on the NCSA and Air Sailing youth scholarship programs
and see how PASCO might participate or contribute to honor Dave Cunningham’s
3. Karol: get PASCO scholarship info to Larry to put on Web site, specifically
for private rating reimbursement program for youth.
4. Mike: Contact Monique ASAP for article on Dave for WestWind.
5. Peter: Write member update to explain new publishing schedule for
WestWind and also about monthly web updates.
6. Bruce (and all): Identify and book group of exciting speakers for
banquet and seminar.
7. Bruce: Schedule and book venue for banquet and seminar.
8. Joel: Check with HGC about possible displays at Watsonville and
9. Joel: Check with AOPA about details for displaying at November 6-8
expo in San Jose.
10. Joel: Inquire about timeline for glider facilities depicted on Interim
Airport Layout Diagram to be implemented at Hollister.
1. Peter: PASCO sent flowers to Kathleen from PASCO ($125) She wrote a nice note back.
2. Rich George has opened a glider refinishing shop near Redding (JJ Sinclair
emailed about it) Peter will forward info to Karol for WestWind.
3. Jay has no updates from SSA. “It’s been very quiet.” He visited at Avenal
last week and spoke with them about their issues. Their wind damage is still
apparent. The Avenal contest starts on Thursday, Peter will be there. They
have about 20 entries so far.
Next Meeting: June 9th at 7:00pm Meeting Adjourned: 8:42pm